Sass & Belle are proud to support the NDCS and have been doing so since 2011.
The National Deaf Children's Society is the leading UK charity to removing the barriers to the achievements of deaf children throughout the UK.
Every Spring for the past 4 years we have held a Big Cake Bake here at Sass & Belle HQ for our staff to raise funds for the NDCS and we enjoy lots of yummy cake while we're at it!
We also offer every member of staff at Sass & Belle HQ the opportunity to learn BSL (British Sign Language). Our stores have also been involved with the charity by holding a bucket collection and having collection tins in-store.
Here is a little more information about the NDCS and childhood deafness.
The NDCS are working to:
- Empower deaf children to determine what happens in their lives and shape services they receive.
- Increase awareness of the support deaf children need to achieve and challenge social attitudes which prevent them from achieving.
- Influence and challenge key decision makers to make childhood deafness a political priority.
Key information on childhood deafness:
- 45,000 deaf children and young people currently live throughout the UK.
- 78% of school-aged deaf children in the UK attend mainstream schools where they may be the only deaf child enrolled where there is a lack of specialist provision.
- Deaf children are 60% more likely to experience mental health problems than their hearing peers.